When we review people’s resumes, we often see a basic document with basic content and outdated formatting. We also see resumes that contain some pretty fundamental mistakes. Here are some tips of what to do:
- SPELLCHECK and GRAMMARCHECK!!!!!
- Include basic contact information. Direct contact number, i.e mobile number. The e-mail address you use should be a personal address, not your e-mail address at your current job
- Provide a summary (2 – 3 lines) of your experience, knowledge, strengths and value add. Do not use words like “excellent communication skills”, as nowadays this is an absolute ‘given’ and a natural requirement for all positions. Detail specific outstanding qualities/skills that you have been complimented on or which have been highlighted to you
- Make sure the layout of all your bullets, paragraphs, and sections is consistent. Use the same type of bullet in every section. Use the same font throughout your resume. If you need to get creative, you can bold, italicize, underline, or change colours, but using more than one font is distracting.
- Ensure that employment dates reflect months and years and that any gaps are explained
- Ensure that you detail/describe your KPA’s
- The focus of your resume should be on your achievements, so highlight these for each position.
- Give proper reasons for leaving - leave nothing to the imagination
By checking your resume for these basic mistakes, you will create a more professional document. Please contact Andrea Pillay, should you require assistance in drawing up a marketable resume/profile. Contact details : +27-11-678-3403, alternatively